Thursday, 4 August 2011

Guatemalan weavings?

This post seems completely out of character.   Perhaps it should be on the other blog (kapundagarden) except that the discovery has more to do with "art" than anything else.  

I went to the local second hand shop while I waited for the butcher to bone and roll a forequarter of lamb for me... I often go there (the second hand shop)  to find lace curtain for the garden in summer or handkerchiefs that are already hemmed (to save me the trouble)..... anyway,  I was looking amongst the odds and ends (where one finds the handkerchiefs) when I found these....
handwoven pieces that look like they are from Guatemala...  or at least the northern part of South America... see what you think....

... having seen other embroideries, molas from Costa Rica and Guatemalan weavings, these caught my eye....
         ........ a bird.....

      ..... a butterfly.......
      .....  a chicken....... (my favourite)
 ...... not sure (any suggestions?)  but a beautiful design neverthless....
 ..... another bird......
         .... and another of these designs that are so beautiful....
 These pieces were very dirty, so I have washed tehm  They are definitely made of cotton with old fashioned dyes (including indigo.)  I washed them in soap and rinsed them carefully.  each piece measures almost exactly 35cm x 35 cm.   They are old, and beautiful and I want more information.

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

I passed the link along to someone I work with who's wife might know....They are beautiful weavings...what a mystery as to how they ended up in the Barossa. Good luck with your SALA weekend.
Love
Louise