Friday, 6 May 2011

The studio

The studio has become a wonderful place to work...
 I'm so lucky to have a really quiet and calm place to work.

But today when I arrived, parked my car and looked down to see how my neighbours (all very quiet) were doing, I saw a bright red patch beside one of the graves...
You might need to enlarge it to see the flowers, but they were very obvious in the landscape here.
Here is where they were....
This was not a surprise.  The people who are caring for the property and providing my water supply are members of the Prior family.
The flowers are nerines... flowering profusely around here (no florists involved) and are beautiful products of bulbs at this time of year...

From their end of the property, the studio looks quite small....
 ... but it's a beautiful place... and I have my favourite people here....

This is the childrens place....
 ... and I wonder about Annie May Turner who died when she was about 7 months old....
 .... or this family who must have put a new memorial here for their children when their son was killed in France in 1918.
 I'm sure that he's not buried here,  but his older sister, Annie is and so is his little brother,  Harold, and he is mentioned here.  The older children died before he even went away to the First World War,  and I wonder about their mother.  How hard was her life.

And then there are these graves... quite a few like this here.
They still exist as mounds of earth or disturbances to the ground, but presumably these were families whose finances didn't extend to a marble, stone or even concrete (for there are some home made ones like that here)  but had wooden markers that have long since decayed and disappeared.
Home made concrete graves are even more amazing....

Walking back up to my studio, there is evidence of my water supply being on the way....
.... this photograph is taken from near to the toilet... the dunny... which is gradually being rid of red backed spiders (black widow spiders, for my North American friends.)
I love my studio.

1 comment:

Fiona (posts by her mum and dad) said...

nothing like a good cry to start the day off right...