Saturday, 7 May 2011

Fox at the studio

As I arrived at the studio this afternoon,  I saw a fox.  It turned to watch me, and ran off for a few yards... then watched me as I got out of the car.  It must have been a little bit nervous though, as it ran off (through the sheep paddock) between a shed and the neighbours' house...  not too worred at all!
My plan was to paint the view from the side fence across to St Matthew's and I'm working on it but it's not there yet.  It may mean getting back to my Cezanne copying to work out how to make the brush strokes... we'll see....

Later, I went to see if there was any trace of the fox.  I found some muddy paw prints on two of the graves....
 ... and evidence of an altercation in another....
 Then I found the scat.... poo to most people.....
 And so I pulled it apart to see what it had been eating....
 ... and I found fur and seeds.... mice? and some kind of fruit.  The seeds matched those in the rosehips nearby.  I tasted one...  fruity and "vitamin C"ish.
 There are plenty of the rose hips around, and plenty of mice.
Not a bad diet for the local fox.   No wonder it looked so healthy.

No comments: