Friday, 15 April 2011

Studio day

I've been out to the studio again.  I tried another still life...  only half done,  but on the way...
 
After that I was looking through a book of reproductions of prints and drawings that are in the State Gallery in Adelaide.  I saw a photograph of a drawing that I know well...
Several years ago, I had made a copy of that drawing...
Drawing pieces like this is how I find out how they were done.  I copied my drawing from the original and it was incredible to be looking right at  a drawing done in the 16-17th century... amazing.

I found another drawing that I'd done too....

 ... and the original in the reproduction... once again I copied my piece from the original
 ... and made notes about it.  It was drawn in Holland in the 19th century.
I copied quite a few others also... it is the best way to see how a drawing (or a painting) was done.
This is how I came to be copying paintings by Cezanne a few weeks ago.  I will be moving my "still lifes" to Cezanne-style brush strokes... or at least that is my hope...  more to come....

No comments: