Wednesday, 9 February 2011

Still life

Still life paintings are usually a winter pursuit, but I want to try a few "Cezanne style" techniques, and so today I set up some of my usual objects and had a go...  not terribly successful yet,  but I have learned a little more.  While this is not a finished painting, and I don't know just how pleased I am with it (sometimes it takes a few days to decide whether I'll keep a painting or sand it off and paint on the canvas again.)  These are three of my old ink bottles...  unfinished, but on the way....
and this is how they are set up in the studio....

I have painted them previously.... I like these funny old things.... and from last year....
 ... and I often paint other old artifacts also....
These are both tiny paintings that I have been doing while I was constantly busy with local government, leaving little time to paint.  Others are of garden produce....
....  and most of these tiny daily paintings have been sold,  but I still have a couple of favourites.
I still need to practice some of the "Cezanne techniques" as I am having such a good time with the more limited palette and the attempt to use the colours in such a different way...  tricky, but such fun!

No comments: